Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Where are you, Amanda Bayliss?

I've spent the past two days trying to implement the central component for Discovery. Even though I'd done it before, reimplementing it in the new style my mentors told me is proving tedious.

Well y'see, the org.eclipse.ecf.discovery interfaces are part of the larger ECF that is, while beautiful, a tad complex. I'm mostly done with IDiscoveryContainerAdapter (which keeps track of services as they come and go and notifiies consumers about these services) and it kinna hurt. For instance, to implement registerService(IServiceInfo serviceInfo), I had to implement IServiceInfo. The IServiceInfo constructor needs to take an IServiceID, and IServiceID needs 4 methods to be implemented. And it goes on, for almost each method, I'd need to create some class that implemented some interface, and then I'd need to write tests for the class I'd just created *and* for the IDiscoveryContainerAdapter I was originally working on. Its been slow, but now I've got only two methods to go...

I just finished reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union: A Novel, a novel about the Jewish state of Sitka (in Alaska, not Israel) and a Yiddish policeman whose life seems to be crumbling around him. Its very Jewish, very funny, and it had me howling in sorrow when the book finally ended.

No comments: